Rare Chicken Rescue
Click on the tracks above to listen.
Scroll through the playlist for more.
Documentary (2008) – ABC1
dir. Randall Wood | prod. Vicki Gest, Trish Lake | edit. Scott Walton
- AFI Award Winner, Best Sound in a Documentary (2008)
- AFI Award nominee, Best Documentary Film (2008)
- AFI Award nominee, Best Direction in a Documentary (2008)
- AFI Award nominee, Best Editing in a Documentary (2008)
- AFI Award nominee, Best Cinematography in a Documentary (2008)
- Grand Jury Award for Best Documentary Short – Slamdance Film Festival, Utah 2009
- Dendy Award, Best Documentary (2008)
- Best Short Documentary, Film Critics Circle of Australia (2009)
- ATOM Awards nominee, Best Documentary Short form (2008)
- ATOM Awards nominee, Best Documentary Human Story (2008)
- Panda Award nominee, Wildscreen Film Festival (2008)
- IF Awards nominee, Best Short Documentary (2008)
- Official selection, 55th Sydney International Film Festival (2008)
After a long battle with depression, Queensland rare chicken breeder Mark Tully is now on a mission to protect the endangered chickens to which he owes his life.
What the Critics have said...
“A beautiful, simple tale about one man’s love of rare-breed chickens and how that love redeemed him from chronic depression…. funny, heartfelt, and surprisingly moving.” Sunday Age, Melbourne. 4 May 2008
“With a whimsical style reminiscent of Errol Morris (The Fog of War) and Mark Lewis (Cane Toads), writer-director-cinematographer Randall Wood has laid a beauty.” Sydney Morning Herald. May 2008
“Half an hour just doesn’t do justice to this unseen world, and the soul-mending solace this young man found clucking within it.” The Age, Melbourne. 1 May 2008
“Every now and then, a show comes along that has a much bigger punch than you could possibly anticipate, and tonight that honour goes to this little gem.” TV Week. 6 May 2008
“It’s difficult to imagine a documentary on rare chickens making for enthralling viewing, but it’s not hard to get sucked into this one….” Herald Sun, Melbourne. May 2008